Ha, Ha... I don't get it? 😅

Laughter makes the world goes round
Jokes and sarcasm are is something that makes the world a brighter place but that's only if we understand them. For an autistic person such as myself, that's easier said than done.
I can't count the number of times on my fingers of the times this has happened to me.

Jokes
It's easy to cover up the misunderstanding of a common knock-knock joke or a why did the ... cross the road? As its a cue telling me, to laugh even if I did or did not understand it.
However, when they're mixed into the sentence its harder to pick up. This is why whenever someone in a group does this we are the last person to laugh, as we are waiting for the justification from others that
- it was, in fact, a joke.
- that it was funny.
- That the person deserves a positive reimbursement for it.

Why do we do this?
To follow the social convention of fitting into society.

I personally only started to state that, I didn't understand the jokes, in my older teenage years when there were certain parameters present.
- They were a good friend or family member that I trusted and felt comfortable around
- I always had to say 'that does not calculate in my head' to justify to myself, that if anyone asked I had a reason for not understanding it.
- That I at that point in time felt comfortable in the environment and how I was feeling.

 Dreaded Sarcasm

I might as well be Sheldon Copper when it comes to sarcasm. It is a hard thing to spot and can happen at any time in the conversation.
Just a few weeks ago my gran came round for tea. Sitting at the table I asked mum if she could pass me my drink that was sitting right next to her. It was a simple request and I thought that it would cause no harm to ask for a simple thing.
"Well aren't you lazy, can you get it yourself?"
My reply was my defense "Its was a simple request and she's right next to it".
Even as I spoke these work I felt myself tensing in panic as I held my breath, trying to push down the panicked breathing. Looking down I hid behind my hair as I fell silent trying not to draw any attention to myself as I tried to hold back the tears and panic that was bubbling inside me.
When they noticed my state, I exploded, tears cascaded down my face, embarrassment felt like another weight on my chest. The whole situation screamed in my head with questions, voices, and actions. I couldn't take it, I needed to be alone.

It was only when my mum told me she was being sarcastic, did I realize that I had overreacted. Once again, I started to question everything in my head about everything that had happened and who it considered with past situations where I had done the same thing. Instantly, bring back the tears, as the situation was fresh in my mind.

-No, I did not hear the different tone in her voice.
-No, I did not see the difference in her body language.
-No, I did not read the expression on her face, realizing is was sarcasm
-No, I did not understand the situation.

 In a group of people, it is once again easier to cover up your misunderstanding, by laughing when everyone else does.

 ðŸ˜†ðŸ˜†ðŸ˜†ðŸ˜†ðŸ˜†ðŸ˜†ðŸ˜†ðŸ˜†ðŸ˜†ðŸ˜†ðŸ˜†ðŸ˜†ðŸ˜†ðŸ˜†ðŸ˜†

Many people don't understand jokes and sarcasm and some have the courage to admit it or just let the thing pass on down the stream of thoughts. For us (or for me anyway) it's like throwing a rock into our thought stream, ripples of what it means, why it was funny, and how funny was it bubble about in our head. Which can lead us to involuntary breakdown or carry on but still questioning that joke or sarcastic comment.


Comments

Popular Posts