Feeling different

No child feels different unless they're treated differently. For me, it was the extra classes, that I would take with a few other students, in my class. I remember leaving the rest of my classmates behind thinking, why can't I keep up with them?
I knew that the lessons we're meant to help me get better at a particular subject I was lacking in but to me, I felt like I was missing something. However, I didn't mind, I got to skip class and play electronic educational games on a computer or have a nice time reading a book with the rest of the people in the group. Sometimes we even got sweets and gifts which made all the other student desperate to join us. I was happy and even though I was lacking in intelligence and treated differently, I had a better time in the one to one or small groups because I didn't feel restricted. I could get comfortable and ask questions without feeling embarrassed or worried that my question was stupid. And if I ever got lost or cofused I didn't just sit thier panicking. Which often lead me to glance over at the work of the person sitting next to me.
I felt like I could ask for help and nothing was thier to hold me back.

"This is my last hope, sweetie"
I got tested for dyslexia when I was around 6, I believe. There wasn't much information about dyslexia back then and it was only from talking to her friends did my mum hear about dyslexia which then prompted her to have me tested, as I was falling so behind in class.
For my mum it was the last hope, to find out what was causing me to fall behind the rest of my classmates.
The answer to the test set the cogs in motion.
"You are dyslexic" 

Comments

Popular Posts