Encouragement is Essential

Encouragement is very important to us.

In school, at home, out and about we are always seeing people our age or younger achieving things that we have yet to understand. While we're young we don't see the difference between us and others because we're more focused on playing and doing creative learning things that hid that hide the fact that was actually meant to be learning. However, as we grow we start to see the separation between ourselves and the other kids.
It was in Junior school when I started to realize the crater between me and the other kids.

There were many hints
- Special class (where I was taken out of class and put into a smaller one)
-My mother was constantly worrying about my learning
-My younger cousins would talk to me about things that I didn't understand

Even today, I still feel the differences and it does depress me a little but not as much as it did when I was younger.
Every step of the way my mother has been by my side encouraging me.
Telling me my special needs make me, special. The 'needs' part was a word that didn't belong next to the word 'special'. That they make me one of a kind.
Whenever I had a breakdown, she was by my side giving me positive comments, pushing me to carry on.

The one comment that I clung onto for dear life was 'All you can do, is do the best that you can' and I knew if I did that, I would never look back and think, I should have put more effort into that.
Knowing I was doing the best I can, did sometimes make me sad that I couldn't do more but knowing that I was doing all I can while others weren't, told me I had a fighting chance at life.

And in those low parts of my life, I know I could always turn to my mum to give me strength and that has brought us closer together.

Comments

Popular Posts